Here at Appointedd, we’re on a mission to be recognised as the best online booking system in the world by enabling anything, or anyone, to be booked (or requested) in as little as two taps! We’d love to hear from engineers who would be interested in helping us achieve our goals! 🌎
Who are we?
Appointedd was born in 2011 when our founder and CEO, Leah, then a busy magazine editor, found herself unable to book an appointment with her hairdressers (and who hasn’t been there?) She saw a gap in the market for an easy online booking system. From that idea, Appointedd has grown into an industry-leading product, powering everything from small hairdressers to multi-national household names, and supported by a team of 18+ ambitious, talented people in a lovely Edinburgh office overlooking the iconic Castle.
Our engineers come from a diverse variety of backgrounds, with several without a Computer Science background; one of the team has a degree in Biological Sciences, and another a degree in Chemistry with a background in teaching. As long as you have a passion for building great software, we’re happy to have you. 🙌
What do we use?
- MongoDB for most of our persistent data storage.
- AWS for all of our infrastructure. Our older services are hosted on Elastic Beanstalk with our newer services moving towards a serverless architecture using API Gateways and Lambdas.
- Classic AngularJS for our front-end application code.
- PHP 7.1 for our legacy back-end application code.
- Git for our version control.
- GitHub for our source code hosting and pull request management.
- Prettier, ESLint, and EditorConfig for automatic code styling and quality control.
- Codeship for our continuous integration/deployment pipeline.
- Clubhouse for our issue tracking and project management.
- Slack for our communications.
We have no enforced code editor so you’re welcome to use whatever you feel the most productive in. We have a range of editor users in the team with VSCode, Vim, and Emacs being the main examples.
What will you be doing?
As part of the product team you’ll be responsible for turning concepts and designs for features into reality! 🚀
This is an exciting time to join us as we’re in the growth stage of our journey! You’ll get the opportunity to help us scale our engineering processes, contribute to transitioning our legacy monolith into modern services, and develop brand new functionality.
We’re a fast-paced and growing startup, so you’re likely to be doing a variety of tasks as part of your sprints. From doing feature work to stomping bugs, it’s unlikely any two days at Appointedd will be the same! Since we’re a small (but growing) engineering team, you’ll have the opportunity to work on both the front-end and back-end of our product as well as be involved with our infrastructure.
Why should you apply?
- You’re interested in building the world’s best online booking system! ✨
- You like being given full ownership of your workload whilst being backed by a supportive team.
- You enjoy learning about existing and new technologies, and how to effectively use them.
- You care about writing high quality and well-tested code.
- You care deeply about user experience and satisfaction.
- You want to be empowered to explore and experiment in a supportive environment.
- You’re interested in being a part of a company that values personal and professional development. Your manager will have a technical background that can support you through regular one-to-ones and mentorship.
- You want to hang out with a cool team, drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and snacks provided, every Friday for our weekly show and tell. (Who can say no to that!?) 🍻
- You want a free roll for breakfast every Friday. 🤤
This all sounds great! How do I apply?
If all of the above has given you the urge to fire an application over to us, great! Please send us your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com, making sure you explain a bit about why you want to work with us and what you think you can bring to the team.
If your CV is accepted, our interview process normally consists of the following steps:
- 📞 A 15-20 minute phone interview.
- 🏢 A pair of on-site interviews that should last around 2-3 hours in total.
If you’d like to learn more about how our product works you can sign up for a free trial here!
Unfortunately we’re not currently accepting remote applicants so we’ll only be considering those who are currently based within commuting distance of Edinburgh or are willing to relocate.
No recruitment agencies please.